Wednesday 6 October 2010

Shoreline - The Back Story

I’ve recently made a ‘live’ solo acoustic video of a few songs from my album ‘in Fusion’ along with a couple of covers. I wanted to create an online ‘gig’ for my fans – bringing them my sound & songs, stripped back to its essence. This step was an important one for me as a performer; I thrive on singing ‘live’ and while the time isn’t quite right for a tour, I wanted to find a way to bring the music to my fans who are spread across the globe. So what better way than to have a virtual show? It allows me the privilege of performing and the listener a chance to get close and personal to me and my music.

The first song I that we’ve uploaded on to YouTube is ‘Shoreline’. It’s one of my favourite tracks taken from the album which also features a stunning and breath taking bass solo by Damian Erskine. I have however had a somewhat turbulent relationship with this song, especially in the early stages of its development. You see, I was writing about something that hadn’t quite taken place yet; in my life and in my career. So, it was about a vision of what I knew I needed to do, which made writing and working on it an arduous process, until the moment I started working on it for the pre-production of ‘in Fusion’; because in doing it, I had actually reached my own personal shoreline!

This track is essentially about the transitional phase my life was in when leaving Malaysia for good and moving to the UK. It was a process which took the best part of a year and there was a definite sense of being pulled in two opposite directions. On the one hand, my family, friends and career were all in Malaysia and so I was feeling incredible pressure to keep the status quo. On the other hand, I had fallen deeply in love with the man of my dreams who just so happened to be in the UK. With love in the equation, there was no doubt where I needed to be, but the move took a great deal of courage because it meant starting all over again.

At this juncture I’d like to be candid about something, I was not entirely happy in Malaysia and that is not easy for me to say. I think it’s mainly because I had begun to realise that there was a kind of glass ceiling when it came to my career and vocation. However, I know that I did achieve a great deal in my time there and the fans, the people who love music were always supportive of me and appreciative of the music – which is what kept me going.

I have not talked about this in detail but there was one defining moment for me in Malaysia which made my decision to leave all the easier. It goes back a few years now, but there was a major award ceremony (akin to The Grammys), & well, my first album was nominated for many awards but did not win a single one. You know, it wasn’t about winning and I can say that with hand on heart - but what it said to me was great music and outstanding musicianship (the people who played on the album were the crème of session musicians in Asia) didn’t mean much. It said to me that the powers that be were not willing to acknowledge something amazing, for whatever reason. It said to me that industry politics superseded good music. I know that this happens all over the world and especially in ‘award’ ceremonies but at that point, at that critical moment in my life…it broke my heart. You know, I was so much younger then, and so much more vulnerable. I could scarcely cope with that crushing blow and it took away much joy from me. It was THE straw that broke the camel’s back… but, somewhere deep in my soul ‘Shoreline’ flickered into life. One of my most cherished aspects of being able to write songs lies in its cathartic nature. Somehow when my spirit is broken a seed of a song gets planted within me and I inadvertently begin the healing process; it is such profound blessing.

Much water has flowed under that bridge now and I know that experience has enriched my life. In fact it turned out to be a blessing in disguise – it led me the path on which I am today. It led me to make ‘in Fusion’ which is something I am incredibly proud of. It is instrumental in my learning a major life lesson – to leave the past behind me and because of the broken heart of much younger Prema, I am the woman I am today….and that’s got to count for something!

Shoreline is about healing. It’s about finding out what you want in your life and learning how to manifest that. It’s about filling your life with love and positive energy and people. It’s about knowing when something isn’t working for you and having the courage to start again. It’s about being determined and being at peace simultaneously.

So, I hope you will have a listen to this track with a new understanding of its journey and I especially hope that it will inspire you in yours. After you’ve had a listen please do hear the full band version of Shoreline on ‘in Fusion’ – the energy you will derive from listening to the whole band will revitalise you; everyone on it played with such love and joy and I know you will feel that current coursing through your soul!

To hear Shoreline (acoustic version) on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx2rnFxB4k
To hear Shoreline (‘in Fusion’): www.prema.net


Lyrics to Shoreline by Prema

Gonna leave the past behind me, let it take the back seat
All the things that separate now and then
And I’ll hurry up, life can’t wait, make a move won’t hesitate
Exercise a little more acumen

With every, sunrise, there is a surprise,
If I want it so bad, all I’ve gotta do is ask for it,
Now I’m relieved that I can receive and I truly do believe

If I can make it to the shoreline
If I can make it with this arrow still in my back
Then I’ll make it through the thunder, thunder storms of my life
Gotta move on and I won’t look back
Gotta move on and I won’t look
No looking back, ‘cos there ain’t no looking back

I can’t ever let chance defy me, it’s curious in that way
Every time a right turns out to be a wrong
And I’ll teach my mind to elevate, it’s never too late to activate
All the little things that keep me feeling strong

With ever, sunrise, love has its devices,
If I want it so bad, all I’ve gotta do is ask for it,
Now I’m relieved that I can receive ‘cos I truly do believe

Gotta keep movin’ on…

I won’t fight this feeling, won’t stop believing
Can’t let nobody, define me, keep bringing me down,
Won’t underestimate, exactly what it takes,
It takes a lot of love to find hope
And reach for the shoreline

No comments:

Post a Comment