Friday 5 February 2010

Feed Your Need

The sun's out today! So I'm taking the opportunity to sit out on my little balcony and get some sun on my pallid skin (brown skinned people need sun too!). So, I've taken my laptop out with me and have stuck some tunes on the stereo - it's really lovely to take time out to feed our needs - I feel so much better for it. So with a coffee in one hand I sit here poised to write another entry in my blog.

The combination of the sun and my balcony bring to mind a certain love affair I have with one particular song - it's the Isley Brother's Summer Breeze. Now I know it's a classic and it's a song that is dear to many people and is the epitome of a warm and gorgeous summer's day. For me though it's the song that truly does give me an instant fix - all the thoughts, the hustle and bustle of life that bubble in my heart like an angry, furiously boiling stock just simmer right down when I hear Summer Breeze. It's my soul's elixir.

I have an interesting relationship with my balcony. We live just off the main road in a town called Reading in the UK. It's pretty hectic with an endless stream of traffic and sirens blaring so often - inner city life in all its glory! My tiny little balcony which I have crammed with plants is my sanctuary and when I am out here amongst my own personal forest, life slows down for me despite the traffic! I have jasmine, honeysuckle, rosemary, lilac, bay leaves, eucalyptus and even a cherry tree - but it is winter now and the leaves have all dropped and so it's not as bushy and verdant as it is in the summer. Yet, it's still my lovely forest and I've got Summer Breeze on the stereo, the sun is shining on my face - LIFE IS GOOD. .

I think it's really important for us all to create a little sanctuary in our homes. A place where we can be ourselves, do our “thangs” and chill out - remove ourselves from the mundane and immerse our whole beings in it. My little balcony, plants and stereo have been a life saver - in my darkest moments I find solace, healing and love in my sanctuary.

Today’s listening experience – The Isley Brothers ‘Summer Breeze’

So, how about you have a gorgeous moment to yourself and listen to Summer Breeze? Imagine the scent of jasmine fluttering around you, think of the warm sunshine on your skin and take yourself to your personal sanctuary. Feed your Need!

Prema
x

No comments:

Post a Comment